In March 2008, whilst filming in Afghanistan for Channel 4’s Dispatches series, Sean was kidnapped by a group with links to The Taliban… he was held for 3 months before finally being released on 21st June (2008). Below is a small selection of external links to news reports and articles related to his capture, and release.
• 6 December 2008 – Journalist Sean Langan tells of life in terror camp, escape from Taliban – For a harrowing three months as a Taliban prisoner in a Pakistani terror camp, journalist Sean Langan lived face to face with sociopaths threatening to behead him as they plotted against the West… www.nydailynews.com
• 29 June 2008 – C4 pays £150,000 to free kidnapped film maker from terror camp – Channel 4 paid a £150,000 ransom to secure the release of a documentary film maker who was held hostage for three months after trying to make contact with Al-Qaeda’s second in command… www.timesonline.co.uk (Hidden behind a pay-wall, unkown if it is still available)
• 28 June 2008 – British journalist Sean Langan tells of Taliban kidnap ordeal – Deep inside al-Qa’eda’s sanctuary high in the frozen mountains of Pakistan, a tribal council was scrutinising kidnapped British film maker Sean Langan and deciding whether he should live or die… www.telegraph.co.uk
• 28 June 2008 – ‘Freedom is the air we breathe‘ – The documentary maker Sean Langan tells Peter Beaumont about the three-month ordeal that saw him kidnapped and threatened with death in tribal Pakistan… www.guardian.co.uk
• 27 June 2008 – Kidnapped by the Taliban, Sean Langan kept sane by dreaming of kissing his sons goodnight – For the moment, adrenaline is the only thing keeping Sean Langan going. A week ago, he was still in the hands of the Taliban, incarcerated in a tiny room in the tribal wilderness of the Pakistan mountains, unsure if he would be beheaded. ‘I thought it would be a miracle if I got out of there alive,’ says the award-winning war correspondent, who was freed last Sunday morning after three months in captivity… www.dailymail.co.uk (Link no longer working)
• 24 June 2008 – Taliban captors release kidnapped reporter Sean Langan – The undercover journalist Sean Langan is back in the UK today after being kidnapped and held for three months by a group associated with the Taliban, his family said… www.independent.co.uk